Tuesday 31 May 2011

Week 4 Diary

Week 4 Diary -
My pieces all came out of the kiln from biscuit firing today, and I have glazed the final pieces with a magnesium glaze, and used manganese oxide in a similar way as before - to define the features.
During the last unit I tested many different ceramic finishes, and the one I most liked was this piece -
Photograph: Tom Coghill
The piece has magnesium glaze inside, and a colourful stoneware glaze on the outside, and a thick manganese oxide rim, which has bled well into the glaze, especially the magnesium, which is the effect I would love to have on my finished piece. This piece has been quite a lot of inspiration for this unit because it is a piece I worked into with a ribbon tool when leather hard.

After speaking with Dan the technician, I have chosen to put my pieces into a reduction firing with the magnesium glaze rather than an oxidation, because the glaze has been known to work better. 

My slip trailed tester pieces came out from being glazed today. The glaze has strengthened them so much, it is just a shame that I now do not have enough time to glaze the rest. I especially liked the one where I used the copper oxide, as it has bled into the glaze and given a green tinge. Next term I would love to experiment further with these, making my own moulds and perhaps using tints to colour the slip beforehand. 

I now have to wait until Thursday when all 10 of my pieces come out of the reduction firing, before the final hand in on Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment