Thursday 19 May 2011

Non-Functional Vessels

I have chosen to focus on non-functional vessels for my personal project this term. Mostly because I have found myself drawn to working on the wheel, which, for me, seems to lead to making nothing but functional items.
This brief will force me to look past the idea of the uses of pottery, and more to the aesthetic qualities. It should help me improve both my throwing skills, hand building skills, and finishing techniques.

Personal Project Diary so far - 

Week 1 - 
After doing some research and sketches, I chose to first start with the idea of a vase, where the opening is not at the top, but on the side. To do this I needed to learn how to throw hollow closed off pieces, and i felt the best way to do this was to just practice. 
I began throwing a open shape and slowly began pulling the top together - during the first attempt I stretched the clay past it's limits and it rippled after a few pinches in, but after a while i got the hang of it and they worked quite well.
Week 2 - 
After more research and sketches I came up with ways that I could alter these humps to produce pieces that looked like they should be functional, but were not, such as this teapot and jug - 
The jug's sides are too low for it to hold any liquid, and the teapot's spout is too low that if it were filled with water it would gush out. I made a number of these pieces and I hope to continue making them throughout the project. 
While researching I came across this piece - 
Sadly I didn't get the artists name however I really liked the organic look of the piece and thought it would fit in with my project well, as it obviously could not be functional. I chose to try it out with my own earthenware slip and some moulds that were lying around the ceramics room. I thought the effect was stunning - 
They remind me of little birds nests, or the bare branches of a twisted tree. They are so delicate though, I hope they survive the kiln!



No comments:

Post a Comment